So, I was off reading about the post on Metaversally Speaks [ you can find it here and honestly it's a good post - http://www.metaversallyspeaking.com/articles/ssssssh-im-hunting-wabbits ]. So I was reading that and really enjoyed it for the most part because, lets face it when someones opinion agrees with ours we usually feel a lil more better about things in general.
Now, just a warning that this is gonna be a long ramble so strap yourselves in and nab a hot coca if you feel up for reading this. ^^
To start, hunts. God I cannot tell you how much I loved hunts! I remember back like in 06 or so there was this amazing one at this Furry Forest place (now known as Serenity Woods I think or something, I haven't gone back since management changed) but it was great! It was very limited, quality prizes (for back then), and just so good that I remember it. Now half the time if you ask me what hunts I've done, I can barely tell you.
I totally agree with the article that the hunts have been oversaturated a ton! But I still continue to do most of them and sometimes (but not often anymore) it doesn't feel as fun anymore. When you know you're getting into a grid-wide hunt...you almost need to sign up (if you want to fully complete it) to go to 300 places or more. Put up with tons of frusteration and such and I do feel bad for some of the creators who get harassed by crazy people who do the hunts.
But then again I've also been on the flip side of the coin, I remember doing this big grid wide hunt and the person forgot to set things for sale. So I thought it was polite to IM the owner, inform them with a slurl for where it is, and that this was going on. They totally flipped out and said I was harassing them when I behaved myself very well. So, I know that on either side people can be nuts.
Once again though this does not apply to everyone. Just because one per may be mean during a hunt doesn't mean everyone is. But I also feel that way towards the, what I find crazy, sterotype that follows "Oh if you do hunts or freebies then that means you don't shop or spend L$". Which is bloody crazy to me, because I know I don't do that; and a number of my friends don't do that either. Not to deny there aren't some that do but just overall I think making a stupid assumption like that is just as stated before..stupid.
But to help cut back on this I think there's some things creators and hunters can do alike.
- Don't harass creators (how many times have you heard this now? XD) If you have a problem, maybe ask a friend before asking the owner/creator. Now if it's something broken and the creator may not know, that's something different and you probably want to contact them to let them know there is an issue.
- Accept that some hunts pride themselves on being more difficult than others. Don't just fly around keep hunting and whinning about it, if you don't want to do it then...OMG don't do it!
- Be thankful that you're getting a gift at all. The gift may suck in yer terms but still, someone went out of time to make that thing you think is a piece of garbage. So that at least should be recognized.
- Don't expect everything you get in the hunt will be something you want. Just delete it, move on, mope that you may have spent 5 hours looking for that piece and just onto the next.
- Seriously, the overkill of LMs and Notecards in the hunt pieces could really use a break. Making one notecard that includes, info, LM, whatever else you want to include is better than 5 notecards, 7 LMs, etc. etc.
- Realize that not everyone can act or handle themselves like an adult. There will be rude people or harassers or whatever; Ban them, Mute them, whatever you need to do and move on. They will exsist and there's not much you can do about it besides handle the situation the best you can.
- In Hunt signs or ones that you create or participate in. You may want to look into having a sign that explains what to do, LM to where they should be, or whatever needed info should be there. This is mostly for people that start hunts, also if you're going to do a hunt or try to pride yourself on it. Don't go trying to diss the other hunts or just be a general jerk yourself.
- Be appreciative that people are taking time out to do your hunt or stop by your store. Yes you did make that item but people have things to do and taking time to hunt can also be tiring on people. Especially if you didn't put that much effort because you're involved at 5 hunts at once.
These are just 4 tips that I think is good for either side. As always this is just my ramble and my opinion on the whole ordeal going on as of late. Not to say that any one hunt, or one place, or one person is bad - it's just things should shape up if they don't want to keep digging themselves a super deep hole of fail.
As always try to keep your Second Life fun. ^^